Wednesday 16 November 2011

Grammar! AAAAAARGH!

Grammar drives me nuts at times; I'm generally good at it (you may have noticed this, reading the many entries in this blog), but even I get things wrong from time to time (most especially with the use of the apostrophe). However, one thing that drives me completely round the twist, when I read other peoples' work, is the ever-lasting battle between "Your" and "You're".

So, in a hopeful spirit of assistance, here's a handy guide...

"You're" is a contraction (a shortening, in other words) for "you are". It is easy enough to decipher, again just insert "you are" into your sentence instead of "you're" or "your" and you will know the correct usage.

Examples of "Your"

  • It is time for your English Language lesson.
    (It is time for you are English Language lesson doesn't make sense.)
  • We will go to your re-enactment display after we eat.
    (We will go to you are re-enactment display does not make sense.)

Examples of "You're"

  • You're going to be the first in line.
    (You are going to be the first in line.)
  • You're going to be driving the first car in this parade.
    (You are going to be driving the first car in this parade.)
And in case you're rather lost on the use of the apostrophe - as I can be from time to time - here's a helpful guide... enjoy!

I hope that helps everone.

No comments: