Friday 22 March 2019

IMPORTANT CONTACT/FOLLOW DETAILS: PLEASE TAKE NOTE:

It's less than a fortnight until Google Plus is going to be assassinated with a knife through the server power lead and an industrial magnet in the hard drive.

So, this is a post to let you all know how to find me online after G+'s murder.

I'm remaining, for the time being, on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009392713468). It's there, I'm familiar (if not completely happy with it), and at least the various groups/pages on there cover most of my interests. I got off Twitter a few months back, as their privacy and data usage policies sucks galactic-sized lemons.

I'm on Pluspora too (as "RogerStenning", in case this link doesn't work: https://pluspora.com/people/f440a220087c0137b3a6005056264835), and I'm not at all impressed with it. I'm having a similar reaction as another friend on there, where we both agree that the interface sucks lemons compared to other SM sites out there ("whaddya mean I can't block an abuser/stalker/moronic git/idiot/great heaving tit of any proportion?! GAH!").

I have not yet tried MeWe or whatever it's called. I'm not a fan of closed-book (Walled Garden is another way of putting it), and Pluspora has confirmed that aversion in spades with its interface and lack of clear groupings, etc. The Interface is the key there - if they improve it by a couple of orders of magnitude, I suspect the place will be usable. Until then, it's a PITA. I suspect MeWe is a similar fish, sadly. If anyone wants to try and convert me, a couple of screenshots of the signed-in interface (blurred/barred in the usual privacy places, of course) would likely help.

I restrict my phone number to trusted friends; likewise my email is private too. If you're a mate, you've likely got either or both. If you haven't, don't sweat it: I check my FB feed practically half-daily (more often, even, it gets boring waiting for a departure slot on a bus stand!), and DMs there appear reliably. So do tagging notes on posts, come to that.

I'm active on CoTI (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/, a sci-fi RPG forum devoted to Traveller in all its forms) as "Redcap".

I frequent the EDCForums (https://www.edcforums.com/), and am a regular user there (under my name).

Oh, and I have this blog, the one you're reading right now, in fact! This is likely to get a lot more use again, after G+ shutters the damn doors (yes, that's right, Google, that voodoo doll with all the pins in it cannot possibly be of you!)

Can't think of much else to say at this time.

Have fun, and hopefully see you all out there :-)

Clear Jets and open Skies!

No comments: