Wednesday 9 September 2020

Facebook, I've had more than enough of your rubbish.

It's a crying shame that the first post on here in a long time is going to have to be on this topic, but they forced it on us, so they can reap this blant as a direct result.

Facebook, the social media platform, is rolling out a "new and improved" web-based interface, which will replace the "Classic" interface we've been using on desktop machines for a few years now.

They are now apparently calling desktop machines words akin to 'primitive' and 'outdated', which is quite obvious rot and nonsense.

The new interface is designed to work on tablets and mobile devices in general, not desktops (which have much larger monitor sizes and resolution capabilities).

As a result, it looks utterly horrendous on a desktop machine.

Further, in a process to wean us off the Classic interface, it would appear that they're throttling - necking down - the throughput to desktop machines (its an easy task to discover what kind of machine, what operating system, even what screen size a user is using; it's an HTML and CSS 'feature').

How did I discover this? Easy. I was in an IM chat with a mate from the USA, when all of a sudden, facebook got horrendously slow, with server lag much in evidence. No other site I tried when this was happening suffered any form of lag or slowdown, just facebook.

I tried accessing the same facebook IM chat on my smartphone, and lo and behold, through the SAME ISP (WiFi connection), the link to Facebook was at full speed. Just not on my desktop machine. This has been happening a LOT since they said that Classic was going the way of the Dodo, by the way.

This is, in my not-so-humble opinion, the thin end of the wedge; they're levering you all into using their privacy-invading smartphone app. An App that I will NEVER use.

So, I'm suddenly and massively reducing my presence on Facebook as a direct result of this attempt at privacy invasion and user manipulation.

I will find another social media app to use eventually, but in the mean time, I'm minimising Facebook, and will be using this outlet more.

Good luck, people. Don't be sheep, vote with your feet.

No comments: