Thursday 4 June 2009

Out with AA Insurance, in with Admiral...

Last month, I got my annual renewal quote from the AA. I've been using their insurance broking service for seven years now, and this is the first time they put their feet wrong: Their quote increased the voluntary excess amounts by what can only be described as "silly money" amounts.

Now, in case you're wondering, I've got seven years protected no claims, made a single windscreen claim in the last three years, and a theft claim in the last five years. I didn't bother claiming for my Cars CD/Radio theft. Wasn't worth the bother, and I'd only have received a paltry amount in exchange for increased premiums anyhow.I also make sure I have only fully comprehensive insurance - I don't think any other level is worth the paper it's printed on, to be brutally frank.

So: The main quote through the AA came from Royal & Sun Alliance. It was for slightly north of 600 quid. The lower 'comparison' quote was from something called "Advantage", still north of 500 quid. The Advantage quote was the one with the absurdly increased voluntary excess figures - more than 400 quid for accidental or malicious damage - ye gods, that's close to a weeks wages for me, and would have taken me straight off the road if I'd needed to make a claim - and the AA, supposedly looking to help motorists - were recommending this for automatic renewal?!

Now that was taking the bodily fluids and then some. So I started looking around. Turns out the best deal I could find was on Confused.com, from Admiral. It wasn't the cheapest, but it was miles better than the AA could come up with, and cost around a hundred quid less than their Royal & Sun quote, and with excess figures that I was reasonably happy with, not the absurdly insulting ones that the AA's "Advantage" quote came up with. Hardly worth of the name, that firm, in my humble opinion, with ridiculous excess figures like that.

Frankly, I'm amazed the AA even sent me the quote from "Advantage" - surely they should have know that I'd throw a wobbly over it? Well, presumably not, as they sent it anyhow. Go figure. Anyhow, the upshot is that they lost a customer, and Admiral found a new one.

So, you AA Insurance customers: Do NOT take the AA's word that they have the best quotes. they don't. Go over to Confused.com if you don't believe me. I'll be using their services from now on.

It's saved me not only potential heartache and being off the road, but also saved me a ton of money too.

HIGHLY recommended.

No comments: