Monday 28 March 2022

Not a bad long weekend at all, this one... 🙂

It would help if I remember to turn the bloody keyboard on when I want to type. D'OH (Bluetooth keyboard that gets turned off when the computer is off, to save the batteries in the keyboard). Now I gotta type a load of stuff again 😂

Anyhow.

Normally on a 'long weekend' (Thursday through Sunday, inclusive, that's two days from each of two back-to-back weeks, welded together to form a four-day weekend) from work, I'm shattered.

This is because the 'long weekends' are *always* preceded by a seven-day series of shifts, normally of long 3 to 4 rounds per shift; those are ten and a half to nearly twelve hours long, each.

The exhaustion mounts up, of course, so that by the end of those seven days, all you want to do is sleep for four days.

I was lucky this time, as I only had five days of shifts to do, as I'd just come off a seven-day stretch of blocked leave a week before this weekend (in the main, leave - holidays - from my Company are booked by the Company - you don't generally get any choice in the matter - to ensure that the routes are all staffed and covered, so that all buses run as required.

It doesn't always work out that way, but that's the reason for the company telling us when we can take leave. I've been there going on 19 years now (VERY senior driver!), so get a lot of extra leave (roughly two weeks more than a new starter in the job, one week of which is tacked onto the summer block, making a three week summer block instead of the fortnight that the others get) that I can book outside those blocked leave bookings.

Anyhow, I had TASKINGS to do this weekend just gone, so rolled out of my pit on Thursday, and got cracking while the weather held.

It's been a pretty good result. I only flubbed on one tasking. I didn't wash the car. Oh well. The rain in the week that's coming should take the worst of the dust off 🤣

I finished off the side gate to the back garden (Preservative painted on, latch mechanism fitted and working), and got two fountain pens working properly again.

Saturday, the exhaustion caught up with me, and I imitated a hibernating Dragon most of the day; Sunday, though, I managed to rescue Mothers Day for my mum, which damn near got buggered up thanks to a major let-down by a certain company, who will remain nameless while the complaint goes through - NOT Royal Mail - as her previously scheduled card never arrived.

So, a swift visit to the local Sainsbury's to rescue the day with a card AND flowers 🙂

And then, a curry for dinner, which we haven't had in a while. She didn't need to cook it, I just threw it in the microwave, so not much of a rescue, but still appreciated 🙂 Thanks M&S Simply Food, for that one 😂

So, yeah, not a bad weekend.

Mum's happy, I'm reasonably satisfied, there were no major disasters (Hey, with DIY and me, that's a major miracle!), and everyone's relaxed at the end of it.

I call that a success 🙂

Hope you lot had good ones too 🙂

No comments: