Tuesday 17 March 2009

Reasons I’ll not miss the day shift...

Come the weekend, I'm changing rotas. Out goes three completely mixed up shift patterns (Earlies, Mids, Lates, the three of which seeming to transpose at a whim, resulting in messed up sleep patterns, and the associated troubles that causes), in comes me on permenant Nights again (last time was when I was on the minicabs). So, in no particular order... here are a few reasons I’ll not miss the day shift...


  • The way the rota's been set up - it should be Earlies - Mids - Lates - Mids - Earlies, etc.... In close to six years I've been on the various day rotas, It's never worked out that way, and my sleeping cycle has regularly become completely fouled up to hell and back as a result...
  • Chucking out time at the schools, and the bedlam when they board the bus (can you say "quart into a pint pot"?)
  • Evening rush hour, because those mad women in their Chelsea tractors are still shifting all those little Johnnies and Janice’s home from detention, by way of the railway station to collect Dad, who has to sign the report card tonight...
  • Courier bikers and courier cyclists (take yer pick as to which is more dangerous)
  • Commuter cyclists ("highway code? What's that?!")
  • People standing on the platform of my single-decker, blocking my view to the kerb and the left in general.
  • People not waiting until it's clear to get on - there's one set of doors, and folk have to get off, before you get on - result? Mayhem. Won't miss that in the least.
  • Last, but by no means least, buggy bitches. These are the - and I use the word advisedly - ladies who refuse to fold their buggies when the bus is full before they try to shoehorn themselves and their buggies onto the bus, ignoring the driver as "you don't know nuffin', jus' drive de bus" then sucking their teeth at you, when you have the temerity to tell them "I told you so - it won't fit!" - I positively will not miss those arrogant plasticine-for-brains idiots at all - most especially because in the vast majority of cases, these women aren't shifting a baby in the buggy. Oh, no. They're more creative than that. It's their blasted shopping!!!

No comments: